I just figured this out myself when the command failed.

My $setgid_group is set to "postdrop" and $queue_directory set to
"/var/spool/postfix".

I have ran "ls -ld" for those directories you specified --

[root~]# ls -ld /var/spool/postfix/maildrop/
drwx-wx---. 2 postfix postdrop 4096 Mar 18 10:57
/var/spool/postfix/maildrop/

[root@~]# ls -ld /var/spool/postfix/public
drwxrwxrwx. 2 postfix postdrop 4096 Mar 18 10:56 /var/spool/postfix/public

I also took your advice and configured /etc/selinux/config to set "SELinux"
to "disabled" - rather than "enforcing" and rebooted the server.

It now appears that the error is no longer appearing! I set the "pickup"
process back to 60 (as recommended) and see the e-mails leaving almost
instantly.

I spoke with one of our Linux administrators and he advised that SELinux
didn't even cross his mind because he's so used to disabling it on install.
:P

Thanks a ton for all of your help - Sahil, Viktor and Wietse!