Am 31.03.2014 02:35, schrieb Shawn Zaidermann:
> The way I had assumed it earlier was the client authenticates via 993
> (dovecot IMAP in our case), crafts an email
> to another user and this email is delivered instantly via lmtp (in our case,
> dovecot LDA), but now I see that in
> reality, the client sends the email via the smtp port instead making a direct
> connection with the mail server. Its
> still secure but the other way sounds more secure.

that explains why your posts sounded that weird
please do yourself a favour and read some basics about how e-mail works

* IMAP/POP3 -> receive messages
* SMTP -> send messages
* LMTP -> LDA

IMAP is *your account* and the only messages which are going through IMAP to
the server
are sent messages or via IMAP append but they will *never* face LMTP or go to a
different user (IMAP append: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_transfer_agent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_delivery_agent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_client