A few things you can do:

1. Many spammers can switch their IP address but you should blacklist any ip
that signs up for an account and spam, it will slow them down at least

2. The 100 cap per day is a good idea but I'd lower it to 5 messages a day,
increasing by a couple messages cap per week. They will then likely have to
build up time before they will waste the account, but this gives you time to
build a log in history of ips. Block anyone who's ip changes often or at least
watch those accounts

3. Block certain countries that cause the most spam, china and Russia to start

4. Content filtering helps but keep in mind most spammers are already tricking
most common filters since they want to also trick major ISPs like yahoo to
accept their mail. Instead, or  in addition to a standard filter, start looking
for common patterns in their links and images, as well as headers and HTML
signature

5. Force a back up email address or phone number as part of sign up. You may
want it to be easy to sign up but since you can't really stop a deticated spam
team, your goal is to make using your system annoying enough to make them move
on to someone else

Just some ideas to get you thinking, expect this problem to be ongoing,
providers like yahoo spend millions of dollars fighting this problem, there's
no quick fix

Sent from my iPhone