Am 14.12.2014 um 18:50 schrieb ghalvor...@hushmail.com:
I decided to change the /etc/hostname to bob.example.com (previously
example.com) in order to conform more closely with the document.

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

I didn't think I really needed to have a hostname, because why would a single
machine need to have a second name (other than the domain).  but ti did seem to
create some wacky defaults in the main.cf when the postfix package was
installed.

But the smtp_banner worries me.  I want this machine to send and receive mail
from a multitude of domains that I own

that don't matter

just make sure smtp_helo_name == A-Record == PTR-Record and you have a perfect DNS setup for a mailserver, the only thing someone checks is that these are valid and in the best case match in all directions

it's pretty common to host hundrets of domains on "mail.exmaple.com" with that HELO name and mathcing DNS records as well as a matching SSL certificate and any client is using "mail.exmaple.com" as incoming and outgoing server