Am 23.12.2014 um 14:32 schrieb James B. Byrne:
We have an smtpd_helo_restriction of reject_unknown_helo_hostname that
regularly fails for one of our (very) large correspondents.

you can't use this seriously beause of too many people not able or willing to setup their basic prerequisites for a reliable MTA

and "reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname" and "reject_invalid_helo_hostname" are the best you can do without support overhead and reject legit mail

As it turns out
the reason is quite legitimate, the helo identity fqdn issued from several of
their email gateways does not match up to the IP address that they are using.
There nothing much one can do about that save exempting their domain in the
helo_checks map.

However, in tracking this down I discovered that they were using multiple PTR
records to reverse map the same IP address back to multiple hosts

that stupidity happens from time to time that ISP's follow customer requests and set "mail.customer.tld" but nit remove their "1.2.3.4-cust.stupid-isp.tld" PTR and so mail becomes a lottery

but this has nothing to do with "reject_unknown_helo_hostname" which only checks if the hostname has a PTR at all and if that is a problem you have enabled some more restriction

you missed to post "postconf -n"