Back from travelling...

> On 12 Jan 2015, at 12:00 pm, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
>
> Mark Nottingham:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I?d like to insert SMTP headers and/or body content (e.g., using alterMIME)
>> in outgoing e-mails *if* the SMTP connection to the recipient is not
>> protected by TLS.
>>
>> Is this possible in postfix today, or would it require a change to source?
>
> No, you add the headers with a policy daemon, a Milter, or with
> an SMTP-based content filter.
>
> With a policy daemon in smtpd_data_restrictions, use the PREPEND
> action to add a header when the encryption_protocol, encryption_cipher
> or encryption_keysize attributes are empty.  postfwd might have
> all that you need.
>
> Milters are available in Python, Perl, C, Java, and probably more
> languages. Just look at your Postfix's Received: header, assuming
> that you have "smtpd_tls_received_header = yes". You may also
> be interested in "smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes".

Just to check here -- I'm interested in doing this for e-mail that I send to
others -- i.e., when Postfix is operating as an SMTP client, not server. The
purpose is to inform recipients when their mail server doesn't support TLS for
incoming e-mail (by modifying message content).

smtpd_tls_received_header appears to record the state of incoming connections
-- i.e., those in which it is acting as a server. I effectively need a milter
to run on outgoing e-mail when the connection is open, not beforehand.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/