I considered and tried most of the suggestions surrounding git without
success.  The archived version in the unused git repo in /etfc/postfix
was just too old (2012).

However, in my distraction with the problem at hand I had forgotten
that I had previously set up and maintained at our off-site facility
entire ghost systems for each our primary internet services.  Once
recalled that fact I simply pulled the configuration file from that
host and restarted.

So, I can now read this mail.  Another product of haste and
distraction.  How can one read messages on how to fix ones email
system when the problem is that ones email system will not deliver
incoming mail?  I was about to resend my original request via my gmail
account, which only exists for this reason, when I recalled the
backup.

I have also reinitialised the etckeeper setup on INET07 and verified
that the postfix directory is being backed up.  I have also checked
the one on INET08 and confirmed that there was no problem there.

I will go through the rest of the diagnosis provided and apply the
recommend fixes or explain our reasons for the variances. Which may or
may not be supportable.  In which case we will alter them.

Thank you for the prompt response.  I appreciate the help very much.

James B. Byrne                mailto:byrn...@harte-lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3