Dear Gentle Folk,

     I am using smtp-source to query whether machines are properly up by
relaying mail through them to a buddy server that beeps me if 3 relays
in a row fail.

     When a target machine fails, the machine running smtp-source hangs
at the perl/shell call to smtp-source, causing all other machines to
look like they are down too.

     I ping each target machine first, and if it doesn't ping it doesn't
get tested with smtp-source, so the smtp-source tests other failures
other than being totally down.

    How do I put a time out on smtp-source so it only tries for a few
seconds before giving up, hopefully with an appropriate failure code.

    Thanks in advance,

    Postfix rocks!

    Homer W. Smith
    CEO Lightlink Internet