On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 08:16:43AM -0800, Jack Bates wrote:

> Hmmm ... That is what's happening, but why's there no user context?
> I expected the first case ("the rights  of the receiving user on whose
> behalf the delivery is made") vs. the second ("the absence of a user
> context").

Entries in /etc/aliases that happen to have the same name as a user
in /etc/passwd are not presumed to have the privileges of that user
account.  For the latter, you need a ".forward" file belonging to
the user.

Local aliases(5) are processed before user accounts are looked up,
and in many deployments after alias expansion local mail is delivered
via a "mailbox_transport", and no user accounts are involved at all.

--
        Viktor.