Brett @Google:
> Hello,
>
> I am upgrading 3.0.x to 3.1 it seems the build process has changed, there
> are a few issues at least on solaris, maybe due to the dual 32/64 bit
> library formats when compared to Linux.
>
> (running on SunOS server 5.10 Generic_150400-29 sun4v sparc sun4v)

The chances that I'll be doing tests on sparc are pretty-much zero.
I have some VMs for Intel lying around with 5.10 from various
vintages but they come with gcc and most are 32bit.

> 1. Is seems to be no longer possible to have a different location for the
> berkeley db include or lib directories. makedefs seems to just try one set
> of assumptions about the base OS, and that you are using gcc, and gives up
> returning -DNO_DB. makedefs does not even try to run a actual test, it
> seems. but like the problem below, if it is running a 32 bit test, it wont
> link with a 64 bit library

The build has not changed between 3.0 and 3.1 (it changed a lot
between 2.x and 3.x).

Have you tried "make makefiles "CC=whatever -m64" and have it pick
up 64-bit libraries? I don't think I should hard-code your 32/64bit
preferences in makedefs.