Hi Folks,

I'm running postfix, along with amavisd-new, spamassassin, and clamav for content filtering, and sympa as a mailing list manager.

It occurs to me, that right now, mail is passing through the content filters both before it gets to the list manager, and again, after it's exploded by the list manager - creating lots of unnecessary load on the system.

I'm trying to understand how the pieces wire together just a bit better, so I can change the processing chain a bit. I inherited the setup, which was configured according to some how-to or other, and I wonder if somebody might be able to point me in the right direction.

Specifically,

main.cf contains a line:

and master.cf contains a set of lines that define a specific service:
smtp-amavis unix -      -       n     -       2  lmtp
    -o lmtp_data_done_timeout=1200
    -o lmtp_send_xforward_command=yes
    -o disable_dns_lookups=yes

And then the list manager setup invokes the sendmail compatibility interface to postfix (from the sympa.conf file)
## Path to the MTA (sendmail, postfix, exim or qmail)
## should point to a sendmail-compatible binary (eg: a binary named 'sendmail' is distributed with Postfix)
sendmail    /usr/sbin/sendmail

What I'm hoping somebody can explain to me is:
- when and where is the content-filter applied (i.e. is it applied to mail that passes through /usr/sbin/sendmail)? - if yes, how might I pass mail to postfix in a way that bypasses the content filter?

And a related question, not strictly postfix:
- any suggestions for how I might filter mail differently, depending on whether it's going to the list manager vs. to local delivery (we like to avoid false positives for local mailboxes, but want to lower the spam rejection threshold for list mail)

Thanks very much for any guidance you can offer.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra