In message <3qjzc32dcxzj...@spike.porcupine.org>
Wietse Venema writes:

> > > No-one can connect to this from outside.
> >
> > That's correct.  Not currently, to this current machine/port, in
> > this configuration.
>
> If someone can connect from outside to your 127.0.0.1 port, then
> you have a serious infrastructure problem.
>
>       Wietse

Or (assuming that there are no user account on the server) another
service running on the same host that has been compromised.

This is further leveraging a breach.  Of course that means that there
had to already be a non-root breach of something else (which would
already be a bad thing).  But that can't possibly happen (right?).

I'm not a fan of mistaking the loopback interface for a hardenned
security feature.  Unix domain sockets or fifo (ala mkfifo and chmod)
are a better choice than inet with loopback IMO, reducing the chance
of leverage.  Loopback is like a socket or fifo with ugo+rw perms.

Curtis