On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 22:56:45 +0200
Paul van der Vlis <p...@vandervlis.nl> wrote:

> Hello Angelo and others,
>
> Op 21-10-16 om 22:24 schreef Fazzina, Angelo:
> > So what is SASL using in Postfix ?
> > Is Postfix calling SASL, which calls PAM, which calls LDAP, to
> > check the Password?
>
> Postfix is calling saslauthd, which calls PAM, which calls unix
> passwords.
>
> > You must follow the trail of how they got the password if you say
> > you changed it and it does not help.
>
> I don't think they have a correct username/password combination,
> because the username is wrong.
>
> Maybe it's possible to log the username/password Postfix get?
>
> Maybe they are using some kind of trick to let Postfix think the mail
> comes from localhost.
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.
>

> > -ALF
> >
> > -Angelo Fazzina
> > Operating Systems Programmer / Analyst
> > University of Connecticut,  UITS, SSG-Linux/ M&C
> > 860-486-9075

Perhaps I'm being a bit anal here, and given my skill level (or lack
thereof) I should stay of of this, but is this actually an open relay in
the strict sense? Maybe that is a red herring. If they are using 587,
that would be the master.cf file, not main.cf.

submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
  -o syslog_name=postfix/submission
  -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
  -o smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient=no
  -o smtpd_relay_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
  -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING