On 2016.11.28 13.47, li...@lazygranch.com wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:01:41 -0500 btb <b...@bitrate.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2016.11.27 20.43, li...@lazygranch.com wrote:
>>> I should have mentioned the mail system is on a VPS and I'm the
>>> only user. And yes, trouble makers are on the Internet.
>>
>> well, this simplifies things quite of bit, of course.
>>
>>> What lead me to this was I did bzgrep "max auth" and noticed
>>> both smtp and submission was found.
>>
>> i hope you're not offering smtp auth on port 25.
>
> Well I think I am based on this anvil entry. What option of postconf
> would show this?

unless the server in question is strictly an msa,
permit_sasl_authenticated should never be found in the global
config/restrictions.  it should only be found in the restrictions for
the submission service [i.e. master.cf].  smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
goes along with this, and should also only be set for the submission
service.

if you're not already, to help with this distinction, setting a
different syslog name [e.g. -o syslog_name=postfix/submission] for the
submission service can be beneficial.