> On Feb 18, 2017, at 8:11 AM, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 07:37:27AM -1000, Larry Stone wrote:
>
>> Viktor, did you ever figure out the logging issue?
>
> No.  Insufficient time to figure out the innards of the new Apple
> logging subsystem.  My laptop is just for Postfix development, so
> the issue has not as yet warranted much effort on my part.
>
>> I just tried upgrading my test system to Postfix 3.1.4 (from 3.1.1) and
>> the logging started to go to the new Apple logging system. Immediately
>> fell back to 3.1.1 and the logging is back to /var/log/mail.log.
>
> Is the 3.1.1 build also your own?  Built under the same O/S version?

Arghhhh! My usual approach to OS X upgrades is to first clone the disk and
upgrade the copy as a test. I must have done my test rebuild of Postfix on the
clone, saw that it was functional but missed the logging issue, then when I
upgraded for real, never rebuilt Postfix since the old version built under El
Capitan ran fine. Rebuilding 3.1.1 under Sierra also uses the new MacOS logging
so fell back again to the El Capitan built version.

> If you have a pre-Sierra MacOS/X machine, perhaps building 3.1.4 there
> and copying the binaries will yield the same behaviour you see with
> 3.1.1?

I do but it’s all the way back at Mavericks (10.9.5). I recently recommissioned
an old MacBookPro (I never could get it to upgrade beyond where it is) to use
as a Fax Server since Sierra discontinued support for USB Fax Modems. At some
point, I’ll try building 3.1.4 there and see what happens and if I can move the
built files.

But, I’m probably good with 3.1.1 for a long time. My Postfix is no longer
Internet facing (I used to run my own mail server but now have that contracted
out to an ISP) so I just use Postfix to get internally generated email
(including the aforementioned fax server which emails incoming faxes) out to my
ISP.

--
Larry Stone
lston...@stonejongleux.com