On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 04:08:21PM +0100,
   wilfried.es...@essignetz.de wrote:
> Your problem with cram-md5 is, that you have
>
> "default_pass_scheme = CRYPT"
>
> in /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.
>

> As mentioned in this text from my last mail, you need to change
> the schema your passwords are stored in:

The most common choice for mail is to require TLS for AUTH
(smtpd_tls_auth_only) and then only offer PLAIN mechanism.  This
works well with encrypted password storage.

> You'll have to set an other default scheme in your
> /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf and recreate your passwords in the
> db. Read more in above mentioned URL.

Indeed, the Dovecot wiki has the answers to all the common Dovecot
questions, and the Dovecot list is the more appropriate place to ask
those questions.

On the Postfix side there really wasn't much going on; Dovecot was
failing to present a list of SASL mechanisms to smtpd -- both smtps
and port 25; apparently no submission service was configured.
Submission (port 587) should be configured in favor of the now-
deprecated smtps, and ideally, there would be no SASL AUTH offered on
port 25.

The advice to use verbose logging was wrong.  Verbose logging in most
cases only serves to further confuse the issue.

> Or you can prefix every password with its scheme, but i don't
> remember details.

{PLAIN}thisIsMyPassword
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/