On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 10:00:28PM +0000, Robert Sharp wrote:
> I was prompted from reading a recent post to check whether my
> postscreen set up was picking up Spamhaus responses. Quick grep
> through my logs confirmed that it was not. Seems I am in a bit
> of Bind (sorry for the pun). If I use Google's DNS I dont get a
> response from zen.spamhaus.org.

Hi Robert,

Yes, this is a known issue.  Spamhaus blocks Google Public DNS and
many ISP resolvers as well.

> If I use my ISP's DNS I will but my ISP also hijacks NXDOMAIN
> everything. I am now looking at setting up my own unbound
> server, but I wondered if there was a quicker solution.

What's not quick?  It should probably do what you need with minimal
(if any) fuss.

I'm more familiar with BIND, and this will do it:

# mv /etc/named.conf /etc/named.conf.distrib
# echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
# named

Configure your OS (DHCP client if relevant) to leave resolv.conf
alone, and set it up to start the BIND service at boot.

I don't know the details of unbound, but I expect it is similarly
trivial to set up.  It really is the right solution, for a mail
server, to have its own resolver.

> Can I use the filter option to ignore those hijacked responses?
> For example:
>
> postscreen_dnsbl_sites = zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.[0..127]*3

You need clean name service for a mail server, period.  And what
happens when your ISP resolver gets blocked by Spamhaus?

--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/