On March 17, 2017 12:20:11 PM EDT, "James B. Byrne" <byrn...@harte-lyne.ca>
wrote:
>I have just noticed this error.  I suspect this points to the root of
>our problems.  What does it mean?
>

>Mar 17 12:16:58 inet08 postfix-p25/smtpd[14495]: connect from
>russian-caravan.cloud9.net[168.100.1.4]
>Mar 17 12:16:59 inet08 postfix-p25/smtpd[14529]: warning: problem
>talking to server private/policyd-spf: Connection timed out

You didn't say what version of the policy server you are running.  There was a
design issue that caused it to make multiple, sequential lookups of the same
domain.  Depending on how fast your DNS is and the configuration, it could
cause these kinds of problems.

I reworked all that in version 2.0.  If you are running an earlier version,
upgrading will likely help.

You also didn't mention if there's a caching resolver on the server.  That
would also help since the redundant lookups would at least hit the local cache.

You can ask questions or file bugs specific to this policy server at
https://launchpad.net/pypolicyd-spf

Scott K