I am re-provisioning the host system that lost its HDD last week and
am taking the opportunity to install FreeBSD.  This system will host
our off-site MX and DNS services.  In the process of installing
postfix-3.1.4 I have run across a package named postfix-policyd-sf.
On cursory inspection this appears to be a drop in replacement for
both postgrey and policyd-spf.

As policyd-spf does not appear to be provided via the FreeBSD ports
collection I am contemplating using postfix-policyd-sf instead as this
is provided as a binary package. Since postfix-policyd-sf reputedly
handles the postgrey service its use would eliminate postgrey as a
separate maintenance item as well.

postfix-policyd-sf has a dependency on libmysqlclient.so.18 and so I
infer that there is a mySQL/MariaDB database somewhere as the
back-end. However, there is no information provided as to how this is
to be set up, configured or maintained if such a requirement exists.

Before I do anything rash I would like to receive any comments anyone
may have respecting replacing postgrey and policyd-spf with
postfix-policyd-sf.  Are there configuration issues?  Is
postfix-policyd-sf less flexible in handling white-listing senders?
Is mySQL a requirement?

Thanks,

P.S.

The problems last week that we had with policyd-spf were tied to the
loss of one of our DNS services.  The resolver on the MX host was
slightly misconfigured which exacerbated the delay in reaching a
responding server.  However, the local host (127.0.0.1) was at the top
of the list in resolv.conf and it was providing DNS service without
any appreciable delay so I cannot fathom why policyd-spf was looking
elsewhere.

James B. Byrne                mailto:byrn...@harte-lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3