I came across a bit of an information-passing glitch on a system that uses a milter (MIMEDefang) to glue together complex filter policies.

MIMEDefang is configured to log sender, first recipient, Message-ID (if any), and the queue ID, along with some filter result data, for each message.

This works just fine for messages sent on their own connection.

However, if a remote system sends more than one message during a connection/session, the queue IDs of the second and further messages are not passed to/retrieved by the milter; instead they're logged as "NOQUEUE". I've confirmed this works as expected with sendmail, but not with any version of Postfix up through the current 3.3 snapshot.

Does the milter need the fix near the bottom of http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html copied somewhere else? Or is Postfix not (re?)setting this macro after the first message is done with?

-kgd