> On Mar 31, 2017, at 4:03 PM, Xinhuan Zheng <xzh...@christianbook.com> wrote:
>
> Does anyone in postfix mailing list have experience using Postifx software
> for sending bulk emails with TLS encryption? Can you share your experience
> with me?

TLS does not materially affect the performance of bulk-email delivery except
when a high-volume destination's MX host set includes some hosts that are
down.  When one of the MX hosts is down and you don't use TLS,  connection
re-use will shift more of the load to the hosts that are up.  With TLS there
is no connection re-use, and so connection latency may rise if the remote
destination is partly down.  This is rare in practice for high-volume
destinations.

> So I’m planning on using recent CentOS 7 operating system. But as I look at
> its repository, postfix and openssl appear to be old versions.

Postfix TLS support is reasonably mature by Postfix 2.8, but older versions
should also be fine.  Just set:

        smtp_tls_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3
        smtp_tls_ciphers = medium
        smtp_tls_security_level = may
        smtp_tls_loglevel = 1

        smtpd_tls_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3
        smtpd_tls_ciphers = medium
        smtpd_tls_security_level = may
        smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
        smtpd_tls_cert_file = ... your cert file location ...
        smtpd_tls_key_file  = ... your key file location if different from cert
file ...

if these are not already the defaults for your Postfix version.

--
        Viktor.