I solved my mysql access problem with dovecot; turned out it was trying a tcp connection and mysql is not listening on tcp. Fixed that to use mysql.sock.

So this got me digging into how postfix was successfully accessing mysql. I see in my various .cf files that access mysql that I have:

host= localhost

And reading the docs (what read the docs?), this tells postfix to connect to mysql via the default UNIX domain socket. How does it know what the file handle is? It seems to be working...

Should I force it with:

host = unix:/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

instead? Which is the sock that I am successfully using with dovecot and amavis.

Plus it better documents the behavior instead of relying on reading the docs...

thanks