On Thu, 25 May 2017 03:02:39 -0400
Rick Leir <rl...@leirtech.com> wrote:

> On 2017-05-25 02:31 AM, Philip Paeps wrote:
> > On 2017-05-24 14:54:34 (+0200), Bastian Blank
> > <bastian+postfix-users=postfix....@waldi.eu.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Please explain how exactly SMTP is exploitable using POODLE?
> >
> > There are other good reasons to disable SSLv3.  But POODLE is a
> > distraction in the context of SMTP.
> In the context of a SASL login to send outgoing email, is it still a
> distraction?
>
> How about dovecot, logging in to receive email and clean up my inbox?
>
> As recommended by lazyG,
>
> http://disablessl3.com/
>

> > In general though, when it comes to SMTP, any encryption is better
> > than none.  And opportunistic encryption is the way to go.  Read
> > RFC 7435:
> >
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7435
> Thanks!
> >
> > Philip

This paper is a good read on email security. It goes into the various
means that a man in the middle can reduce security, one of which is
enabled by selecting opportunistic encryption. (Of which in all
practicality you don't have a choice if you want maximum
compatibility. I'm amazed at the lack of encryption in first world
countries like Canada or the UK.)

"Neither Snow Nor Rain Nor MITM . . .
An Empirical Analysis of Email Delivery Security"
https://jhalderm.com/pub/papers/mail-imc15.pdf
Video by one of the authors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aogXeTbERs

Given the email issues in recent political campaigns, I'm seeing a
number of articles suggesting setting up DMARC for quarantine. Most
recent:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bishop-fox-research-finds-98-of-the-top-million-internet-domains-are-potentially-vulnerable-to-email-spoofing-300461861.html
Specifically "First, companies must safeguard their company's domain by
checking the company's DNS records for SPF and DMARC. Make sure that
the company's domain has a properly configured SPF record and a DMARC
record with a policy of quarantine or reject. Then, use Spoofcheck to
check if the domain is sufficiently protected."
Where
http://spoofcheck.bishopfox.com/#!/
isn't exactly rocket science. It just reads your DMARC.