Hi,

One of my mail servers (Postfix 3.1.0), is configured to perform virtual domain
hosting.  It forwards mail to the virtual domain to mailboxes of users on Gmail.

I can see in my mail log that spam with forged origin addresses sometimes comes
into my server that is addressed to virtual domain addresses.  My server
rejects some of this spam and then generates a non-delivery e-mail to the
origin address of the spam.  Of course, as some of those addresses are forged,
my server is producing backscatter.

I read the “Backscatter Howto” [1] on the Postfix website, but from what I read
this appears to address backscatter when someone is forging the origin address
of spam to be from my server (resulting in accounts on my server getting the
non-delivery e-mails).  I am looking to correct backscatter that my server
generates.

I believe I read that non-delivery e-mails should be disabled and my server
should generate a 5.x.x SMTP error code.  Is this correct ?  If so, how do I
implement this in main.cf ?

Thanks,

- J

Sources: