Ralph Corderoy:
> Hi Wietse,
>
> > > Please consider having Postfix obey the RFC when generating From:,
> > > and other relevant headers.
> >
> > Please submit mail with correct headers.
>
> Please alter cleanup(8) to not make incorrect repairs thereby forcing
> those MUAs you consider errant to fix their ways and supply those
> correct headers!

You're talking about a Sendmail compatibility feature from 20 years
ago. According to a contemporary Sendmail manual, the From: header
format was commonly defined as either "$?x$x <$g>$|$g$." or "g$?x
($x)$.", corresponding to the following two formats:

    Eric Allman <e...@cs.berkeley.edu>
    e...@cs.berkeley.edu (Eric Allman)

(that's a quote from sendmail 8.9.0 from 1998).

Your complaint illustrates that there are still programs that create
email without a From: header.

I suppose I will eventually change the code, but email header syntax
is delicate stuff.

> Your email had
>
>     From: wie...@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
>
> I assume that was a deliberate pun?  :-)

That must be part of an obsolete fake mail detection scheme. The
idea was that if I never send mail as ``From: name <address>'',
then all mail that contains that specific form is a fake.