Hi,

I have a question about enabling SASL authentication in the Postfix SMTP server
*ONLY* over TLS.

In the documentation [1] under the “Encrypted SMTP session (TLS)” heading, it
lists recommended configurations for SASL auth that restrict the SASL
mechanisms to noanonymous and noplaintext:

    A more sophisticated policy . . . but only over a TLS-encrypted connection:

    /etc/postfix/main.cf
        smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
        smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous

It then lists the following:

    To offer SASL authentication only after a TLS-encrypted session . . .

    /etc/postfix/main.cf
        smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes

Does this mean that the smtpd_tls_auth_only parameter supersedes the mechanism
configuration options, or do I need the following if I want to have noanonymous
and noplaintext mechanism only over TLS:

    /etc/postfix/main.cf
        smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
        smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
        smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes

Thanks,

- J

Notes: