Hello,

My thanks to those who suggested the debug document. While that wasn't
it, the issue wasn't with postfix at all, it did get me looking at
Dovecot. Postfix does Sasl authentication using Dovecot. Dovecot gets
it's username and password from a MySQL database. The query Dovecot
was sending was wrong and it only showed up on outgoing connections,
incoming authentication worked fine.

Again my thanks.
Dave.