On 21/04/2018 8:07 AM, Ram wrote:

On 04/21/2018 05:32 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
On 21/04/2018 7:38 AM, Ram wrote:

On 04/20/2018 07:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Ram:

On 04/20/2018 07:14 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Ram:
I have a very busy postfix server that acts as a relay. It gets mails from an application and then forwards the mails to the delivery servers
on local LAN

The application can send mails at rate of? upto 600 mails per second Postfix has been configured to accept mails all that quickly, but the delivery is very poor until inflow stops. Only around 20-50 mails per s Once the app completes the inflow, then the mails are cleared at a rate
of 1000 mails per second

Why ?

Is there a contention on the queue manager when the inflow is too quick ?
No, there is contention for the file system.

If you disabled in_flow_delay, turn it back on, please. This allows
the queue manager to push back, though it works only for clients
that make few parallel connections.

Otherwise, you need a faster disk. SSDs have become quite affordable, even the 'enterprise' ones that have some extra capacitors to prevent
data corruption after power failure.
I am using spool dir on /dev/shm

in flow delay .. slows down smtp connections which the application can
not handle
That is why I have disabled
If you can't use the Postfix safety mechanism, then I can't help you.

I know , And in_fllow_delay  works for almost all cases where I use postfix. Excepting when 1 sec delay per process becomes too much

If I have a high end machine , will running multiple postfix instances on the same machine help That way If I change the app to deliver to multiple instances simultaneously.
There is no IO load running everything in /dev/shm

If you look at a system monitor output (top on Linux is enough), is Postfix using 100% of the CPU? Is there a significant amount of process time in wait queues? Is there lots of spare physical memory?

Probably a silly question but are you sure that the sending application or network is not the bottleneck?

If you configure Postfix to throw away the e-mails immediately in receipt does the inflow meet your expectations.
I thought so too.
I tried using postfix-sink and the mails are sent at max speed. So the network is not a problem

https://netcore.in/20-years-journey/?utm_source=email-disclaimer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=netcore-turns-20

Does the analysis of which postfix tasks are eating the CPU give any hints?

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President