> On 22 April 2018, at 05:50, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
>
> Doug Hardie:
>> I understood from the dnsblog man page that each dnsblog process
>> only lives for a "limited amount of time".  I noticed this because
>> I have over 50 dnsblog processes running on a fairly light duty
>> postfix server.  Some of them are over a week old.  At first I
>> thought they must have been orphaned, but looking through maillog,
>> I find entries in the last few minutes from the oldest and the
>> newest.  I didn't check all of them, but it appears they are all
>> in use.  Looking at the source for postfix-3.3-20180114 (on web),
>> it appears dnsblog checks one IP address and then exits.  I believe
>> I can limit the number of dnsblog processes in master.cf (currently
>> set to 0), but I am not sure that is a good idea.  How long are
>> these processes supposed to live?
>
> According to source, dnsblog processes exclude themselves from the
> max_use limit (max_idle remains in effect). I suppose I turned off
> max_use because these processes are postscreen helpers. Postscreen
> was designed to handle a much larger client load than to the rest
> of Postfix. Under extreme loads like 10000+ connections/second,
> one does not want to be creating 100+ processes/second, as that
> would limit scalability.
>
> The dnsblog processes still terminate after 100s idle time. On my
> lightly-loaded server, there currently is no dnsblog process running.
>
> Apparently your server has enough traffic to keep postscreen alive,
> and as a consequence, a collection of dnsblog processes.
>
> I suppose you could reduce max_idle, but don't go overboard and
> set it to something small like 1s. That would be counterproductive.

Thanks for the info.  I never would have expected my server to be that busy.  I
would suggest that the man page for dnsblog be updated in the first paragraph
of configuration parameters to something like:

Changes to main.cf are picked up automatically as the dnsblog processes are
started.  The dnsblog processes terminate after 100 seconds of idle time.  That
is the default value and can be changed with the max idle configuration
parameter.  However, reducing it to a small value is likely to be
counterproductive.  Use the command "postfix reload" to speed up a change.

-- Doug