On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 02:55:19PM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> SMTP protocol.  The something else unspecified will be some valid (
> intended or otherwise) LATIN1 string.  Its use in database queries
> with a LATIN1 client encoding will not throw perplexing errors.

Ok, I get it.  I will note that this is true only for some values of
"perplexing".  For instance, to a user, the strings
a...@anvilwalrusden.com and aj[ZWNJ]s...@anvilwalrusden.com look
identical, so the fact that the second one doesn't match will be
perplexing.  This is no criticism: perplexity in i18n is pretty
normal.  But I get it that you won't get some sort of back end
encoding error.

> support any per-lookup flags.  So we'd need dict_get_ex() that
> takes a new utf8 flag and supporting changes throughout the
> code.  This is a major change.

Sounds like, yes.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com