Le 17/06/2019 à 21:31, Wietse Venema a écrit :
Viktor Dukhovni:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 02:29:05PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
I suppose that Postfix will need to forward the OORG information that it received from the Microsoft server, not a name that is hard-coded in main.cf, and that Postfix will need to send that information only to systems that should receive it, not to random systems on the Internet.
Really no need to forward OORG. It was not designed as an end to end mechanism. It its only stamping email from coming from this or this hosted organization without guaranties that they are doing sane things. OORG value has no meaning downstream, but need to be used in the access and relay policy: dedicated family of restrictions or SASL mapping to reuse some (reject_*_login_mismatch). Cloud/hosting providers could be trusted but without OORG information, it is the same as blindly thrusting the Internet. The cloud/hosting provider is acting as a multiplexer and we need to de-multiplex the flow, without presuming or relying on any inner in-band mechanism (DKIM).

If going further, OORG must not be passed downstream but a way to tag some flow should be provided. With that, nothing prevent you to put the same tag as inbound (if there was any).

I'm not a networking expert, but it could be view as an MPLS mechanism for SMTP.... It could help to solve a lots of thing in classic SAS/Cloud scenario, and is unavoidable in "hybrid" configurations.

For the o365 hybridization case, destination domain is sufficient to determine the OORG to put for downstream Exchange servers as o365<->on premise emails use a "technical SMTP routing domain" (xxx.onmicrosoft.com) and custom transport fit well and keep the implementation minimal.

My case for inbound emails: -> Exchange
Office365-> inbound postfix   -> routing, filtering layers etc-> internal outbound postfix -> Exchange            (OORG access control)                                (o365 OORG spoofing) -> ........
  Internet                                 Big Corp trusted central zone                    Big corp branches/societies

With the OORG replaying at the oubound, Exchange will promote these emails as internal, enabling the use/trust of all the specific Exchange headers coming from o365.

XOORG would need to be accepted only from suitably authenticated and authorized clients (those trusted to deliver authentic information). XOORG feels clumsy, a cleaner choice would be DKIM, which supports passage through untrusted relays, ... but at the cost of breaking when the content is modified. XOORG on the other admits content modification, ... but at the cost of requiring trusted relays. If we're willing to generally forward DKIM signatures, I am not sure that XOORG needs censoring on the outbound leg, when trusted on the inbound leg.
The latter is simply conservative design. There is no need to forward this information, and a receiving system might object to receiving XOORG from a Postfix machine that isn't authorized to send it.
Yes, XOORG is not a end to end mechanism.
It is actually supposed to be used only in o365->MS Exchange Edge case.
Following their use, you should provide the XOORG capability only to a trusted server which is for Microsoft a server presenting a validated certificate with a specific CN.

Emmanuel.