On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 17:24, Dominic Raferd <domi...@timedicer.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 17:05, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> >
> > Noel Jones:
> source
> System)

> > > Then whatever is generating the mail uses the obsolete format.  You
> > > can use a header_checks IGNORE action to remove the offending
> > > header, and postfix will add it back.
> >
> > That is a better suggestion than using header_checks. However this
> > works only for /usr/bin/sendmail submission.
>
> I will try this, thanks. but it still seems to me that local
> double-bounce messages, which surely originate from Postfix, are using
> the legacy From header. I have put a (lightly obfuscated and
> shortened) example at https://pastebin.com/mVqGjAn2 which was
> generated while the server's internet connection was down - note the
> From: header.

I can confirm that Noel's suggestion (using IGNORE in header_checks) works
- this corrects the 'From' header in messages from the local Cron Daemon
from the 'obsolete' to the new 'standard' format. Thank you.

However I think double-bounce messages in Postfix 3.3 do not observe
the header_from_format
setting and instead use the 'obsolete' format.