Hi all,

We have a setup where we have a relay server which in turn sends all
received mails through to another relay server (from a known anti-spam
vendor). We use Postfix 3.4.5 on Debian 10.

The important parts about our setup:

smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unknown_sender_domain
reject_unverified_sender permit_mynetworks
relayhost = [smtp.antispamcloud.com]:587

Since smtp.antispamcloud.com has a very strict sender verification
process we want to reject the same mails. Hence we enabled
reject_unverified_sender. It looks like our Postfix server accepts mail which
has a sender www-data@hostname while smtp.antispamcloud.com reject the same
mail for a specific hostname. That specific hostname (a FQDN) is behind a
CloudFlare DNS proxy so I understand why smtp.antispamcloud.com can't verify
the sender. What I don't understand  is why Postfix accepts the mail. The
hostname does not have MX records assigned (the parent domain does and the
parent domain has a catch-all account).

I think Postfix checks the parent domain or POstfix just connects back
to the connecting mailserver to do the check (which would pass).

My questions:
1. How do I debug this?
2. Does Postfix check the parent domain when doing sender verification?
If yes, how do I stop that behaviour?
3. Does Postfix check the connecting mailserver when doing sender
verification? If yes, how do I stop that behaviour?

Thanks!

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Yavuz Aydın