> On 5 March 2020, at 17:15, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 03:57:59PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:
>
>> Small mail server with 3 weeks of logs:
>>
>>   1761 TLSv1
>>     18 TLSv1.1
>>  20414 TLSv1.2
>>   6343 TLSv1.3
>>
>> That's not what I expected.  I thought v1 and v1.1 would be reversed.
>> There is a complete spectrum of ciphers being used with v1 including
>> some of the most recent.  I am using the defaults for the protocols
>> and ciphers.
>
> The reversal is expected, the most widely used TLS implementations that
> support TLSv1.1 also support TLSv1.2, and so you see very little use of
> TLSv1.1.  The ancient stacks that haven't yet adopted TLS1.2, mostly
> never got to TLSv1.1 either.
>
> An interesting question in your case is what fraction of the TLSv1
> connections are non-spam.  Perhaps you're able to correlate the TLSv1
> connections with legitimate vs. junk email.

Results for 3 weeks of log files:

TLSv1   spam = 1182     ham = 1147
TLSv1.1 spam = 74       ham = 6
TLSv1.2 spam = 24355    ham = 10461
TLSv1.3 spam = 4453     ham = 2305

Note, that the definition of spam is there is a NOQUEUE entry for that IP
address in the log files.  Hence this is an approximation as it is possible
that the RBLs entries could have changed during those 3 weeks.  Also, I don't
know what emails the recipients considered spam.  Only 2 users have mailboxes
on my servers.  The others are elsewhere.

-- Doug