Hi Damian,

Am Montag, den 13.04.2020, 11:22 +0200 schrieb Damian:
> The validator [1] says TLSA is ok, so is this even be a DNS issue? If I
> have to guess, Postfix encounters the following situation:
>

> When TLSA records are found, but are all unusable the effective security
> level is "encrypt"
>
> The documentation does not state that self-signed certificates are
> invalid with the "encrypt" security level, they are with "verify".
>
> [1] https://dane.sys4.de/smtp/wrong.havedane.net

I am not sure what you are saying.

The havedane.net test consists of 3 different servers do., dont. and
wrong.havedane.net, all with self-sig certificates.
The difference is the TLSA records:

do. has a correct one
dont. is having none
wrong. is having a wrong one (your link shows that)

Hence the result of the connections should be:
do. = Verified (DANE did the verification)
dont. = Untrusted (Just regular TLS w/o DANE) with signed cert it would
be Trusted
wrong. = No delivery at all (DANE verification fails)

The "wrong." one is main security benefit of DANE, as it can spot
tampered certificates. The "do." is additional security/convenience, as
you can use self-sig certs and do not need to rely on CAs. "dont." of
course does not matter.

However the tcpdumps show, that my Postfix is not getting any TLSA
information via DNS, so in my server all three get delivered and the
connection is stated as untrusted, like there is no DANE involved and
it just behaves like a regular TLS setup.