Hello Postfix Community,

First off, I apologize if answers to my questions are well-known but before posting, I did spend a fair amount of time researching all of the Postfix READMEs, HOWTOs, etc. to try and understand this but apparently I am not finding the right information.

Thanks in advance for your insights…

- - -

#### The scenario:

* All domains, users, aliases, etc. are contained in SQL tables and defined in the main.cf as ‘virtual_mailbox_domains’, ‘virtual_mailbox_maps’, etc.

* Two users are defined in the ‘virtual_mailbox_maps’ table.

 * user1_at_example.com
 * user2_at_example.com
* There are two aliases defined in the ‘virtual_alias_maps’ table:
 * user2_at_example.com —> user1_at_example.com
 * @example.com —> user1_at_example.com

#### Observed behavior:

* If I send an email to user1_at_example.com, it is delivered as expected to the user1 mailbox.

* If I send an email to user2_at_example.com, because of the alias, it is also delivered to the user1 mailbox but not to the user2 mailbox. * I expected a copy of the email to also be delivered to the user2 mailbox but it appears the alias prevents this and I’m not sure not sure why. * However, if I remove the alias for user2, then emails sent to user2 are delivered to the user2 mailbox (which makes sense) but nothing gets delivered to user1. * I expected the wildcard alias (@example.com) to cause a copy of the email to also be delivered to the user1 mailbox. * Last, to verify that the domain wildcard alias works, emails sent to [ ANYTHING ]_at_example.com are delivered to user1_at_exmaple.com just as I expected (W00T!!!). :=)

#### Recap:

* When both a 1:1 alias & a user are configured for a given email address, why are emails sent to the alias\user only delivered to the alias target?

* When a domain wildcard alias & a user are configured, why are emails sent to the user only delivered to the user and no copy to the alias target?