On 07/12/2020 14:58, Chris Green wrote:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 02:34:14PM +0000, Dominic Raferd wrote:
On 07/12/2020 13:11, Chris Green wrote:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 01:01:16PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
[snip]

While I'm about it why am I getting identical mail.log and mail.info
files created in /var/log on the Pi?
I could still do with an answer to this.

Check contents of /etc/rsyslog.d (e.g. 50-default.conf) and docs at
www.rsyslog.com/doc/
Yes, thanks (and Wietse), the Raspberry Pi default rsyslog
configuration has:-

     mail.*                          -/var/log/mail.log
     mail.info                       -/var/log/mail.info
     mail.warn                       -/var/log/mail.warn
     mail.err                        /var/log/mail.err

Sorry for the noise.  I'll go quiet again soon when I've got Postfix
properly configured on these systems I've just added it to.

If immediately after the line beginning 'mail.*'  you insert a line:

& stop

this will stop any further mail facility logging. Or delete the later lines.

You will have to restart rsyslogd afterwards e.g. systemctl restart rsyslog