>>>>> "Ganael" == Ganael Laplanche <ganael.laplan...@centralesupelec.fr> writes:

Ganael> On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 1:59:42 PM CET Wietse Venema wrote:
Ganael> Hello Wietse,

Ganael> Thanks for your reply,

>> > Ignoring errors would result in misdelivery of email. You may have
>> expectations that it is OK for software to randomly misdeliver
>> email, but that is not how Postfix works.

Ganael> Well, I don't expect mail to be misdelivered, of course :)

Ganael> Misdelivery would not happen if next dictionary(ies) have similar
contents
Ganael> (and this is sysadmin's work to ensure it is the case). Having such a
Ganael> possibility could allow several tries on different remote backends
before
Ganael> finally falling back on a local one.

>> If LDAP cannot handle many concurrent connections, use proxymap
>> like everyone does with mysql and the like, or hide it under
>> a memcache_table. [...]

Ganael> Proxymap won't help here as our concern here is not related to LDAP
server
Ganael> overload.

Ganael> Let me explain : our LDAP servers are populated by 3rd party
Ganael> tools (and team) that might (in theory) fail and disable
Ganael> accounts by mistake. Of course, this is not Postfix' problem
Ganael> *but* we would like to avoid such a situation where many
Ganael> accounts have disappeared from the directory and where we
Ganael> would refuse mail by mistake.

So why not run your own LDAP servers, which pull from those upstream
LDAP servers, and then you can do your own retention rules as you
like?

This way if you don't find <address> in upstream, you can start your 7
day countdown clock and keep accepting email as you want.  If the name
comes back (hopefully not for a different new user!!!) you can just
push/restore the email then.

Ganael> Our idea was to use our LDAP directory as a first dictionary
Ganael> to quickly handle address change and new accounts but always
Ganael> have a local fallback (a verified dump produced every week) as
Ganael> a last resort to continue accepting mail for accounts that
Ganael> would have been disabled by mistake (in fact, for any disabled
Ganael> account, for 7 days).

You've got some funky requirements, you must have been burned before
by this other group making random changes which lost email.  Not fun.