Marek Kozlowski:
> :-)
>
> I'm working on simplification, adding comments and brushing up my
> main.cf. I've just found the following entry:
>
> fork_attempts=10
>
> Seems to be added manually so there was some reason for it.

How many people have root privilege on your machine?

> Unfortunately there is no comment on it in the file. The documentation
> is very short:
>
> "Limit on the number of times Postfix tries to fork a process."

Yeah. I could have added

        ... before Postfix gives up.

But that would be stating the obvious.

> Could anyone give me some reason for the setting above? What problems
> can it potentially solve? What unwanted behavior may happen when I
> change it to the default (5)?

By design, Postfix has safety limits on everything. Creating a
process is one example. Giving up is safe. The alternative is to
run an overloaded system into the ground, and that is unsafe.

That is obvious to me. Maybve it's new to some.