On 2021-06-11 15:12, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

I will make a bold guess that the real problem you're trying to solve
dealing with mail from "root" and similar system users, where in a
network of null-client hosts delivering all mail to a central mail hub,
you want the sender address to clearly reflect where the mail came from.

See: http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#split for a walk-
through of how to configure such null-client instances.

Yes, I want null client per se, but not sure I need a multi-instance setup. It looks overly complicated for what I am trying to accomplish. Plus, in the example Makefile it still looked like a static map was being set per user. I need users who login with AD credentials (who do not have accounts in a passwd file), to be able to send mails, but as you have guessed, I want to include the server name in the user section of the FROM address instead of include hostname the @domain section (project's requirement).

If you really want to do this for arbitrary sender local parts, you'll
need a regexp or pcre table, and for bonus points some care to get it
right for quoted local-part addresses.

    /^"(.*)"@local\.domain$/    ${1}-hostname@some.domain
    /^(.*)@local\.domain$/    ${1}-hostname@some.domain

But, unless you have "-" as your recipient delimiter on the central
mailhub, the resulting sender address is invalid, which is best avoided.

I will use a different delimiter ("+").  Thank you for the tip.

If I am going to do PCRE table can I still use generic map, or do I need to use something like smtp_header_checks?

Thank You.