Hello everybody,

On one of our internal Postfix system I noticed that one of the check_policy_service script is using postconf and postmap to perform some alias lookups. It uses postconf to get the virtual_alias_maps parameter, which is then used by postmap to perform the lookups.

Now, the load on the system is relatively low, and everything seems to be working quite well. Only reading is involved. But it still got me thinking.

Could there be any hidden, unexpected behavior when using them this way?
How about if the load gets higher? Were they designed from the start to handle higher loads?

Cheers,

K.