Also, the "Delayed evaluation of SMTP access restriction lists" section from the SMTPD_ACCESS_README page, might give you some answers.

http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html#timing

Cheers,

My educated guess would be it is checked at the end of the supplied options for smtpd_recipient_restrictions, is that correct?

On a very short glance at the source code, your guess does seem to be correct.

src/smtpd/smtpd_check.c:
     /*
      * If the "reject_unlisted_recipient" restriction still needs to be
      * applied, validate the recipient here.
      */
     if (var_smtpd_rej_unl_rcpt
     && status != SMTPD_CHECK_REJECT
     && state->recipient_rcptmap_checked == 0
     && state->discard == 0)
     status = check_recipient_rcpt_maps(state, recipient);

However, I am not very familiar with the Postfix source code.
Maybe somebody closer to the code can give you a more absolute confirmation.

Cheers,

K.