Wietse Venema:
> The error happened because the hostname "dovecot" did not resolve.
>
> This may be affected by how compatibility_level is set, because
> compatibility_level is processed before Postfix's chroot feature makes some
> files inaccessible.

Wow, I was completely thrown off the right track by the error message, thanks
for clearing the confusion up so quickly.

So, to summarize:

With compatibility_level=0 the chroot default is yes.
My smtpd process for port 25 runs chrooted because chroot=- while the smtpd
process for port 465 does not run chrooted because chroot=n (I totally
overlooked this small difference between my two smtpd processes in master.cf).
When the smtpd process runs chrooted it doesn't have access to /etc/hosts and
/etc/resolv.conf, which prevents any host name resolution, so it cannot connect
to the Dovecot SASL.

With compatibility_level=2 the chroot default is no.
This causes both of my smtpd processes to not run chrooted, so the hostname
resolution works in both.

Sorry for suspecting a buggy implementation!
I'm actually a software developer myself so I should know better than to
quickly jump to conclusions.

Thanks Wietse!

Best regards
Stefan