On Thursday, December 23, 2021 3:51:57 PM EST Wietse Venema wrote:
> Scott Kitterman:
> > Currently, postconf.5 has this to say about message_size_limit:
> >
> > message_size_limit (default: 10240000)
> >
> >     The maximal size in bytes of a message, including envelope
> >     information.
> >
> >     Note: be careful when making changes. Excessively small values will
> >     result
> >
> > in the loss of non-delivery notifications, when a bounce message size
> > exceeds the local or remote MTA's message size limit.
> >

> > It documents the default, but not the maximum.
>
> The maximum is determined by (kernel) resource limits, file system sizes,
> and...
>
> >  Apparently there is one (and
> >
> > who would care, one of Debian's users, apparently [1]).  I'm not
> > particularly confused about why there would be a maximum, but it might be
> > reasonable to document what it is.  Perhaps add something like "Maximum
> > value is 2147483647." at the end of the note so that users don't have to
> > find out the hard way:
> >
> > fatal: bad numerical configuration: message_size_limit = 2147483648
>
> That is the LONG_MAX value for 32-bit machines. It's much bifgger
> for 64-bit systems.
>
> I guess we could put that in the manpage. I have ab old wishlist
> item to migrate file sizes from to off_t (which is 64 bits on
> most systems).
>
> But that is a lot of effort, and I was kind-of hoping that 32-bit
> systems will go away.

Thanks.  I don't think it's worth a lot of effort.  I'd imagine it's a pretty
niche use case to send multi-gigabyte files via SMTP.  People do do it though
(clearly or there wouldn't be a bug).

I wrestled with a few options for a simple explanation, but didn't come up
with anything I particularly liked.  I think it's correct that there's a hole
in the documentation, but I don't have a good recommendation on how to fill it.

Scott K