post...@ptld.com:
> If i use these settings
>    inet_interfaces = all
>    inet_protocols = all
>    smtp_bind_address = <redacted_ipv4>
>    smtp_bind_address6 = <redacted_ipv6>
>    smtp_address_preference = any   (* Not actually included in main.cf,
> relying on 'any' as the default)
>
> Then most of the time email being sent out to another server will
> be delivered over IPv6. It rarely uses IPv4. However, if I supply

May we know the domain name? The addres selection depends on
how many IPv6 versus IPv4 addresses its MX hosts have.

Postfix versions with 'smtp_balance_inet_protocols' support will
ensure that some number of addresses from each family will be tried
even if the primary MXes have more IPv6 addresses than IPv4 (or
more IPv4 than IPv6).

        wietse