On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 04:18:27PM -0800, Noah <noah-l...@enabled.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have something misconfigured and cant figure out what I need to change.
>
> On an ubuntu host.
>
> Inbound mail is fine
> Sending out mail is broken.
> I see in the log files this entries around the time of submitting mail for
> outbound delivery.
>
> Any clues what I need to configure correctly?
>

> --- snip ---
>
> Jan 23 00:08:12 localhost postfix/smtpd[18628]: connect from
> localhost[127.0.0.1]
> Jan 23 00:08:12 localhost postfix/smtpd[18628]: warning: connect #1 to
> subsystem public/cleanup_submission: No such file or directory
> Jan 23 00:08:22 localhost postfix/smtpd[18628]: warning: connect #2 to
> subsystem public/cleanup_submission: No such file or directory
>
> --- snip ---
>

> postconf -M                                              [/etc/dovecot]
> smtp       inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
> submission inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -o
> cleanup_service_name=cleanup_submission -o
> content_filter=smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10023
> smtps      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd -o
> smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
> pickup     fifo  n       -       -       60      1       pickup -o
> content_filter= -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
> cleanup    unix  n       -       -       -       0       cleanup
> qmgr       fifo  n       -       n       300     1       qmgr
> tlsmgr     unix  -       -       -       1000?   1       tlsmgr
> rewrite    unix  -       -       -       -       -       trivial-rewrite
> bounce     unix  -       -       -       -       0       bounce
> defer      unix  -       -       -       -       0       bounce
> trace      unix  -       -       -       -       0       bounce
> verify     unix  -       -       -       -       1       verify
> flush      unix  n       -       -       1000?   0       flush
> proxymap   unix  -       -       n       -       -       proxymap
> proxywrite unix  -       -       n       -       1       proxymap
> smtp       unix  -       -       -       -       -       smtp
> relay      unix  -       -       -       -       -       smtp -o
> smtp_fallback_relay=
> showq      unix  n       -       -       -       -       showq
> error      unix  -       -       -       -       -       error
> retry      unix  -       -       -       -       -       error
> discard    unix  -       -       -       -       -       discard
> local      unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
> virtual    unix  -       n       n       -       -       virtual
> lmtp       unix  -       -       -       -       -       lmtp
> anvil      unix  -       -       -       -       1       anvil
> scache     unix  -       -       -       -       1       scache
> maildrop   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe flags=DRhu
> user=vmail argv=/usr/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}
> [...]

It looks like you have changed the cleanup_service_name
used by the submission service from the default
"cleanup" to "cleanup_submission", but you haven't
defined the replacement "cleanup_submission" service in
master.cf, so it doesn't exist. Only the original "cleanup"
service is in master.cf.

If your cleanup_submission service is managed outside
of Postfix somehow by something that creates a socket
in /var/spool/postfix/public/cleanup_submission,
perhaps it isn't functioning.

Did you even intend to change the cleanup service?
Or was that a mistake? If so, then the fix might
be as simple as removing "-o cleanup_service_name=cleanup_submission"
from the submission service definition. If you
did intend to change the cleanup service, then
you probably need to copy the existing service definition,
give it the name "cleanup_submission" and modify it
to suit your needs.

cheers,
raf