> Right, because you do not need to run 'postmap' on regex or pcre maps. The
> text
> format ios what Postfix uses for those types.

Thank you Bill!  Knowing that now, I see where postmap(1) states:

| The postmap(1) command can query any supported file type, but it can
| create only the following file types:
| ... [types not including 'regexp' or 'pcre']

is getting at this, but it is far from clear that it is because
those do not need to be pre-processed by postmap.

Also, the error if you 'postmap regexp:filename' is not useful:

postmap: fatal: unsupported dictionary type: regexp. Is the postfix-regexp
package installed?

given I know I have regexp installed.

cheers,
Greg