On 2022-04-21 at 16:34:38 UTC-0400 (Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:34:38 -0400)
Ian Evans <dheianev...@gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

I've seen this a few times with some companies. I'm expecting an email
from, say, example.com

They say it's bouncing. I check the logs and there's a RCPT 450 Sender
address rejected: domain not found. The email is being sent from
email.example.com, but that subdomain doesn't exist, can't be pinged. This
is a trusted sender, can I somehow whitelist this domain?

Yes.

How exactly you would do that depends on where your existing config has the 'reject_unknown_sender_domain' restriction. You need a 'check_sender_access' map BEFORE 'reject_unknown_sender_domain' in the same restriction list, mapping the bogus sender address to PERMIT.

Note that this opens a gap in your restrictions, as the sender address is trivially easy to set to anything a sender likes, and nothing later in the same restriction list is checked after a restriction results in a PERMIT.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire