On Wed, Dec 07, 2022 at 08:47:21PM -0500, Jonathan Capra wrote:

> I took this to mean I should get rid of relay_domains altogether, and rely
> solely on relay_recipients. But once I did that, it now rejects all
> addresses.

Hard to imagine how you reached that interpretation.  Postfix rejects
invalid relay recipients for domains list (only) in relay_domains, when
there are no wildcard matches in that table or matches in
canonical_maps or virtual_alias_maps and when invalid recipient
validation is not disabled.

The simplest test is to configure an empty relay_recipient_maps, and
see whether any relay recipients are allowed then.

Try (on a test server):

    relay_domains = whitehouse.gov
    relay_recipient_maps = inline:{@=@}

When I do this, and run a test, I see: