raf:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 06:20:08PM +0100, Gerben Wierda
> <gerben.wie...@rna.nl> wrote:
> > What is the best way to do this? Or is it too troublesome and should
> > I just use postfix outside of docker, installing it with apt? I would
> > rather like to have a single (docker) deployment model which would
> > make it easier later to migrate once more.
>
> It's probably heretical, but I don't think Docker is
> well-suited to Postfix. You would need to configure
> Docker to map many UNIX domain sockets to allow
> Postfix's own processes to communicate with each other
> and with any milters and policy services. Docker seems
> to be primarily aimed at things that communicate only
> via TCP. But take that with a grain of salt. I am
> barely a Docker novice. I don't doubt that Postfix
> could be packaged up with Docker, and that would make
> migration easier, but so would Ansible. I prefer apt
> and automated security upgrades to immutable
> infrastructure. In general, that's silly, but Docker
> (and immutable infrastucture) makes more sense when you
> need many equivalent transient VMs, not a single,
> stable MX host. But of course, that's just my opinion.

+1 for the Ansible over Docker suggestion.

Server migration was always a worry to me, given the landscape where
hosters can become unreliable (being bought off, no longer allowing
email hosting, etc.). Because of this I have a playbook for deployment
and a documented migration plan. This allows me to migrate at any time.
I keep it up-to-date and even practice migration every few years. What
advantages does Docker provide over this?